Revival Time Ministries

Forums

Forum Home > Prayer > Praying Right!!!

revivaltime
Site Owner

HOW TO PRAY AND GET YOUR PRAYERS ANSWERED!

We all want our prayers answered. But few of us really know how God intends for us to pray. Many of us pray and hope for answers. But God meant for us to pray and get answers. To do this we must know the type of prayer to use in any given situation. We must also know the proper procedure to use. Then we can be assured that our prayers will be answered.

Jesus instructed us on how to pray. Have we studied the word? Are we confident in coming to the Lord in prayer? Not all prayers can be prayed the same way. There are different rules for different prayers. Like football and baseball. Both are games. But if you mix the rules the games will not work. So we are going to examine six types of prayer that can be found in the Bible. There may be more. But we will learn about these six. They are the most important and the ones most of us use.

There is a key to getting to God and having prayers answered.

Jesus gives us the answer. John 16:23 In that day you will no longer ask me anything. I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. In that day ... Jesus was not talking about the day the disciples were together with Him. That day is a future day. A day when He would no longer be with them. A day that was to come, when He would be with the Father.

We are living in that day. So this is the way that we should pray. In Jesus name. You see the disciples never prayed while Jesus was with them. If a storm came at sea or people needed to be fed or they needed money to pay the tax with, they just came to Jesus. He calmed the storm or took two fish and fed thousands or told them to catch the first fish and it would have a gold coin in his mouth. They did not need to pray to God. They were living with God.

Also notice that Jesus said, "to ask." What do we do when we ask? We speak. Jesus also speaks of this in Luke 11:2 Jesus said, "When you pray say ..." Jesus did not say to think it or to write a letter. He said, to speak. So we must ask for what we want audibly.

Jesus also told us a condition that we must meet to have our prayers answered.

Mark 11:24, Jesus says, "When you pray, believe that you receive ... and you shall have ..." Jesus is asking you to believe in something that you do not have yet. How do we do that? With faith ... Hebrews 11:1. Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. You see what God wants is for you to believe in Him and His word. This shows God that we believe in Him and trust Him. 2 Cor. 5:7 For we walk by faith not by sight.

How long will it take for the prayer to be answered?

The speed will be in direct proportion to your faith. Jesus gives us the answer in Matt. 8:13. Jesus told the Centurion "Go your way and as you believed, (or as of your faith) so let it be done for you." And his servant was healed that same hour. So you need to constantly build your faith. Romans 10:17 And faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.

How do we know that God is listening to us?

1 John 5:14-15 This is the assurance we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know He hears us, whatever we ask, we know we have what we ask of Him. It is that simple. We read the Bible and find if what we are asking is the will of God. We mix that with our faith, ask and we are answered.

So let us now look at the different types of prayer and how God meant for them to operate.

1) PRAYER OF AGREEMENT

Matt. 18:19 Jesus said, "Again I tell you that if two of you on earth agree on anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in Heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

Jesus is telling you that if you join with another, in agreement, He will be with you. If Jesus is with us, that means that He is agreeing also. So in effect He is also praying with you. This is a very strong prayer. Notice that it says you. It must be something that you all are in agreement on. If you are praying for a third party (Interceding for them) they must be in agreement with you. A prayer can never over ride another's will. God gave us free will and He will never violate it.

2) PRAYER OF FAITH (Also called the prayer of Petition)

This prayer is just between you and God. We will go over again what we said above. Because I want to get this burned into your spirit. These are the Jesus rules and if you want your prayers answered you must follow them.

• John 16:23 In Jesus name. And also do not forget to verbaly ask.
  • Luke 11:2 You must use your faith.
  • Mark 11:24, Jesus says, "When you pray, believe that you receive ... and you shall have ..."

To pray it again would mean you did not believe God gave you what you asked for ... If you do not believe that God has given it to you ... you will not get your prayer answered. You may not have received it yet physically, but in the spirit, if you have faith, you have. Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hope for, the evidence of things not seen. First comes faith, we have to believe God gave us this gift, if we do then the substance or gift will follow. Your senses will make you doubt. But don't confess these doubts. You will receive. The word of God says I have my gift ... So I'm standing on the word! God will bring it into the natural ...

The best way to prove this is to read Luke 17: 11-19. Jesus told the lepers to go and show themselves to the priest. They could have said, "are you crazy, that's a long walk and look at me, I've got leprosy all over me." But they didn't, they did what they were told. They had faith in Jesus, and started walking toward the priest, (they walked by faith not by sight 2 Cor. 5:7) and as they walked, they were healed. One came back to say thanks. Jesus said, "Your faith has made you whole." First we have to have faith and trust Gods word. Then God brings the evidence of things hoped for into our life. Simply if we do not trust God's word, He is not going to answer our prayers.

3) PRAYER OF CONSECRATION & DEDICATION

Jesus is praying to the Father. Luke 22: 42 Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will but your will be done. Jesus did not want to go to the cross. But He would honour the Father's will as to what He should do.

You never pray if it be your will when you know the will of God!!! This will nullify your prayer. People do it thinking that they are being submissive. They are misled being ignorant of the Word of God and what His will is. Right off they are telling God that they do not have faith in His promises that He made to them. They are saying, that they may or may not come true. If it does not come true, then it was not God's will. I can tell you now it will not be answered. Because they are not acting in faith.

So you only pray if it be your will. When you do not know the will of God!!! Here is an example: A minister knows that he is called of God. But he does not know where God wants him to go. He can pray where ever you want me, I will go. I will go to China or anywhere. Not my will, but your will be done.

4) PRAYER OF PRAISE AND WORSHIP

Luke 2:20 The shepherds returned glorifying and praising God for all that they had seen. They had seen the baby Jesus.

Here you are not asking for anything, you are just telling God that you love Him and thank Him for all He has done. Of course you use faith. Because without faith, how do you know there even is a God or that He heard you?

5) THE PRAYER OF INTERCESSION

A) In the natural praying for others. Here are two examples:

1) Jesus uses this to tell the disciples how to pray to help others. Matt. 9:37-38 Then He said to His disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest therefore, to send out workers into His field." Jesus, is asking God for more help so that He might save more people. So He is interceding for the unsaved. So that they may be saved.

2) Also when Peter was put into prison. Acts 12:5 So Peter was kept in prison, but the Church was earnestly praying to God for him. We later find that God sent an Angel to set him free.

B) In your spirit with the Holy Spirit. This is the highest level of intercession. Here we join forces with God to intercede for ourselves or others. This can only be done if you are filled with the Spirit and speak in tongues. Romans 8:26-27 The Spirit helps us in our weakness, we do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And He searches our hearts, knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.

Here is where our real power comes from. The Holy Spirit which knows the mind of Christ, knows what is happening to us and to other saints. So when we are praying in the Spirit we are many times praying intercession prayers for ourselves or for other Christians, maybe in another part of the world that need God to intervene for them. So a saint that is filled with the Spirit goes through life much easier than one who has not been filled with the Spirit. Because God is running interference for us and solving problems before we even get to them.

If you are filled with the Spirit many times you will feel like you must pray. Right now! You have to stop and pray in the Spirit. You do not know why. But the Holy Spirit does. It could be that a missionary is being attacked in Africa, and Jesus needs someone to intercede for him. Here you are being used to the fullest in the body of Christ.

The Holy Spirit has the full authority to pray in this manner as you have invited Jesus into your heart and received the Holy Spirit as part of yourself. 1 Cor. 6:17 He that is joined to the Lord is one spirit. So He is free to jointly pray with our spirit to enable God's work to be done here on earth. Thank you Jesus!

6) THE PRAYER OF BINDING AND LOOSENING

Matt. 18:18 I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in Heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in Heaven. Here Jesus is telling us that whatever [THAT IS LINE WITH HIS WORD] we as Christians do in His name here on earth, it will be carried through by the Father in Heaven. 2 Cor. 1:20 For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through Him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God.

Praise God! And Thank Him for His son, Jesus!

• His Spirit, helps us and guides us. Romans 8:26
  • Combined with the promises of God, make us more than conquerors. Romans 8:37
  • We as Christians have been given the power of Jesus to be His Body here on earth. 1 Cor. 12:27 & Eph. 1:22-23
  • We can cast out Demons. Lay hands on the sick to be healed. We can use His name and His authority. Mark 16:17 & Luke 10:19
  • He has not left us alone. No, He has joined with us as one Spirit. 1 Cor. 6:17
  • We may go in confidence knowing that we are sons and daughters of God. 1 John 3:2
  • And that we can always come to Him in prayer and be heard. 1 John 5:14-16

**Thank you Jesus!**

-: RTM :-

November 8, 2009 at 11:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.